Skip to main content

Firing court appointed lawyer?

Houston, TX |

I have a court appointed lawyer, and in my opinion is not worth the showed he wears.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Sorry, you usually can not pick or choose court appointed lawyers if they are appointed because you cannot afford to retain counsel. Try to get a meeting with the attorney to express your concerns, or put them in writing and send them to him or her. See if you can find some reasons why his opinion is not valid, and speak to other people about the issue, including on this site if you can do it without incriminating yourself or disclosing confidential information.

Or use library research resources, books on your problem or google. You'll probably have a better handle on your legal issues and can perhaps have a more informed talk with your attorney and perhaps even suggest other approaches. You'd be amazed with what a google search can tell you about possible defenses to criminal charges or the relevant laws and procedures.

Or you can beg or borrow money from friends or family to retain private counsel, perhaps if just for a "second opinion" Most attorneys on this site agree that public defenders and assigned counsel try to do a good job and are conscientious, however they are often overwhelmed with case loads and cannot provide the individual attention that a privately retained attorney might provide.

This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".


I'm sorry, but I don't know. This is much more of a a criminal law issue than an ethics one, so I have edited the practice area and tags you selected so that you will receive responses from lawyers who specialize in criminal defense.

Good luck.


The court approves the court appointed attorneys before it makes the appointments. So I doubt the court will aggree that your attorney is unqualified. You can complain to the judge. It may work, but that would be unusual. You are, of course, free to retain an attorney at any time.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer