Skip to main content

Firefighter involved domestic violence, police reports filed and serious charges but DA won't prosecute. I am the victim.

Grand Rapids, MI |

There are police reports that date back 4 years, statute of limitations in Michigan is 5 years for this, and the police and firefighters are (as usual) really close, making me appear to be 'creating problems' even though I am the one that ended the relationship. How or what is the correct way for the victim to pressure the DA to file charges? The police reports literally contain even him admitting to beating me and basically everything that he has done to me and our daughter. It is as though he is getting a high-five from the cops and the real victims are in increasing danger.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You could contact MSP asking to take it out of local control, get a victims rights group involved, contact local news iteam..

  2. I agree. You can try to take the situation to the state police. You could also contact the prosecutor and request an appointment to discuss the situation as well as an explanation as why prosecution has been declined.

  3. Call the prosecutor's office and ask for the victim advocate. Demand to meet with her and the head prosecutor in her office.

    Here is the info for the head prosecutor:

    William A. Forsyth, Kent County Prosecutor
    82 Ionia Avenue NW, Suite 450
    Grand Rapids, MI 49503-2266
    Phone: (616) 632-6710
    Fax: (616) 632-6714

    You could be eligible for crime victim compensation as well. Here is a link with great resources for you:

    Good Luck. | The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Florida. Responses are based solely on Florida law unless stated otherwise.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics