Firefighter involved domestic violence, police reports filed and serious charges but DA won't prosecute. I am the victim.

Asked over 2 years ago - Grand Rapids, MI

There are police reports that date back 4 years, statute of limitations in Michigan is 5 years for this, and the police and firefighters are (as usual) really close, making me appear to be 'creating problems' even though I am the one that ended the relationship. How or what is the correct way for the victim to pressure the DA to file charges? The police reports literally contain even him admitting to beating me and basically everything that he has done to me and our daughter. It is as though he is getting a high-five from the cops and the real victims are in increasing danger.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Robert M. Alonzi


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You could contact MSP asking to take it out of local control, get a victims rights group involved, contact local news iteam..

  2. Ronald S. Pichlik

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree. You can try to take the situation to the state police. You could also contact the prosecutor and request an appointment to discuss the situation as well as an explanation as why prosecution has been declined.

  3. James Regan


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Call the prosecutor's office and ask for the victim advocate. Demand to meet with her and the head prosecutor in her office.

    Here is the info for the head prosecutor:

    William A. Forsyth, Kent County Prosecutor
    82 Ionia Avenue NW, Suite 450
    Grand Rapids, MI 49503-2266
    Phone: (616) 632-6710
    Fax: (616) 632-6714

    You could be eligible for crime victim compensation as well. Here is a link with great resources for you:

    Good Luck. | The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to... more

Related Topics

Criminal charges for domestic violence

Domestic violence is physically, sexually, emotionally, economically, or mentally abusive behavior used to control an intimate romantic partner.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,687 answers this week

2,709 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,687 answers this week

2,709 attorneys answering