Fired Lawyer Refuses to Give Statement of Fees/Costs

Lakewood, CA |
Filed under: Professional ethics

Having trouble with a fired former lawyer that refuses to give the new lawyers on the case a statement of their fees/costs, and it is holding up settlement discussions. Are they allowed to do this?

Your new lawyers should request, on your behalf, a statement of your account within 10 days. You are entitled to a statement of account upon request within 10 days unless you have received a statement within the last 31 days. If your case is being handled on a contingency basis, a dispute between lawyers regarding their contingency fee should not hold up settlement discussions as the lawyers together are only entitled to one contingency fee. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Sometimes a discharged attorney will ask for the reasonable value of the services they provided, at their usual hourly fee. But that fee (excluding the costs they advanced on your behalf) should come out of the attorney fees your current attorney is charging. I'm sure the problem is the "split" between the two law firms. If problem persists, file a complaint with the State Bar.

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

The State Bar does not open an investigation or a complaint file on these kinds of facts. ALL of these kinds of claims are referred to the mandatory fee arbitration program, expressly for the purpose of removing them from the State Bar's plate of matters that must be investigated and resolved --- a necessary measure. The fee arbitration program is easily accessed:

Professional ethics topics

Recommended articles about Professional ethics