Fired Lawyer Refuses to Give Statement of Fees/Costs

Asked about 1 year ago - Lakewood, CA

Having trouble with a fired former lawyer that refuses to give the new lawyers on the case a statement of their fees/costs, and it is holding up settlement discussions. Are they allowed to do this?

1. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

2

Answered . Your new lawyers should request, on your behalf, a statement of your account within 10 days. You are entitled to a statement of account upon request within 10 days unless you have received a statement within the last 31 days. If your case is being handled on a contingency basis, a dispute between lawyers regarding their contingency fee should not hold up settlement discussions as the lawyers together are only entitled to one contingency fee. Good luck.

2. Richard Carl Binder

1

Answered . Sometimes a discharged attorney will ask for the reasonable value of the services they provided, at their usual hourly fee. But that fee (excluding the costs they advanced on your behalf) should come out of the attorney fees your current attorney is charging. I'm sure the problem is the "split" between the two law firms. If problem persists, file a complaint with the State Bar.