Skip to main content

Fired from job due to false accusation

Dayton, OH |

about five years ago I was fired from a job due to a employee who made a false accusation about me said I come to work angry and that I always had an attitude, and the manager took his side of the story without asking for mine, the manager even said he was surprised that I showed up for work that day I was like wow why are they saying these things about me, I was crushed! I loved working there! I remember the waitresses that worked there and how they would compliment me on how I kept the kitchen area cleaned.. I remind quiet and left the work site, after many years after I still feel it was wrong what do I do?

Attorney Answers 3


If you were fired over five years ago, I'm not sure what can be done at this point. Some employment law claims have a two or four year statute of limitations. You would need a claim with at least a six year statute of limitations, I cannot think of any state or federal claim that would afford a six year window.

Additionally, if you wanted to sue the employee for making a false, defamatory statement against you, that would be considered an intentional tort under Ohio law. The statute of limitations for such a claim is only one year. And of course, filing for unemployment after 5 years is not going to be accepted.

I wish I had better news for you, but this is why it is extremely important to consult with an attorney as soon as possible after being terminated -- or after any other potential illegal action is taken against you. People call and tell me about things that happened to them 8, 9, 10 or more years ago and usually I tell them that there is nothing that can be done after such a long waiting period.

Feel free to ask other employment law attorneys to see if they know of any potential claims with a six year statute of limitations, but I doubt one will be found... unfortunately.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


It has been to long so there is most likely nothing you can do. If you are unable to let it go and move on you may want to consider seeking some counseling for the issue from a licensed social worker or psychologist. Good luck.

Attorney Chris Beck
Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
Beavercreek, Ohio 45434
(937)510-6110 phone
(937)867-4111 fax

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner

Mark as helpful


I changed the practice area to employment law, but I'm not sure if that re-posts it to that area. Submit your post again, if you can, to the employment law section. Hope it helps.

Mark as helpful

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics