Skip to main content

Fired from job based on race, disability, sexual orientation in NYC

New York, NY |

I was fired from my job because of my race, disability, gender, sexual orientation. I was able to collect unemployment compensation here in NY due to the unjust termination from the job. Now I want to file a lawsuit against my former employer for all the unjust pain and suffering I had to endure before they finally terminated my employment unjustly. I need legal help

Attorney Answers 3


I don't believe you can collect for pain and suffering but you can collect future lost wages. You should speak with an employment attorney ASAP. Feel free to email me for a referral.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

1 comment

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison


I would certainly contact Eric for a referral!


To discuss whether you have a case, and how strong it is, you can contact the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the NYS Division of Human Rights, and if your job was in NYC, the NYC Commission on Human Rights. You can also contact an employment attorney for a consultation. There are time limits for filing discrimination lawsuits, so the sooner the better.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


I would recommend seeing an attorney who handles sexual harassment cases. The lawyer can give you legal advice after all of the facts are fully discussed. Good luck! Do not delay in obtaining legal counsel.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at and Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics