Firearm possession after felony

Tallahassee, FL |

My husband was convicted of 3rd degree felony for marijuana possession back in 2004. If he is not allowed to possess firearms, does this mean that since we live together, that I also cannot possess firearms? I am not clear on the technical legalities regarding this matter.

1. Yes you can possess a firearm yourself but it cannot be anywhere where it might be construed that he has constructive possession. So if you are going to possess a gun make sure he is not with you.

2. If you have a firearm it makes it easy for your husband to be charged with felon in possession of firearm. The possession can be constructive versus actual.
    I always advise my clients that if one spouse has a felony conviction if they want to own a firearm Store it at a different property or at a locker at the gun range.

3. You can legally possess a firearm, he cannot. Anything that can be said to be under his control is possession. If you store your gun(s) where he does not have access or control, it would be a defensible case, but he still might be arrested and charged. If you keep them at, say, your brother's house and pick them up from there when you want to use them he should be fine.

He should not be in a car with the firearms.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com

--- Facebook Page
    http://www.facebook.com/CriminalDefenseMadTown

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police
    http://addbalance.com/police.htm

--- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)
    http://addbalance.com/miranda_rights.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

Click on the “more” link below for more important information.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

4. Yes, you may own and possess a firearm. As the other attorneys have stated, it is imperative that you keep it away from your husband. If you have it in your house, keep it in a safe to which only you have the combination. There are other methods of storage also. i suggest you purchase the book "Florida Firearms, Law Use & ownership" bu attorney Jon Gutmacher. just look him up on his website and you can find all the information you need.