Finger prints and DNA

Lansing, MI |

If i was in a an area where i noticed a syringe on a bench and a device used for mixing the drugs. I pick up both items and while doing so i get stuck in the hand. I then throw the items away from me. Now understand i was never approached by any police at any time. I then later leave the scene. If in the future the police find thse items which i am ssuming they have not i dont know. Can i be charged for anything?

1. First and foremost, get checked out by a doctor ASAP if you were stuck in the hand -- you may have contracted a disease and you should get checked out as soon as possible. Under the facts you have presented, I believe it is highly unlikely you will be charged with anything, but if you are contacted by the police or an investigative agency, retain a criminal defense attorney FIRST before you speak with anyone! In the future, if you find items that may be used for using drugs, avoid them at all costs. I wish you all the best of luck. Warmest regards, Matt Catchick.

2. I agree that you need to be checked by a doctor ASAP.

The answer to your question "can I be charged with anything?" is the same even if you had been in Italy talking to the new Pope instead of at that bench: You can be charged. You can be convicted if there is evidence against you, even if you had nothing to do with the crime.

Unless these are evidence in a homicide, they are not going to be checked for fingerprints or DNA. Police, and crime labs have lots of other things to do with their time.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

3. I agree that yes you can be charged if the police or prosecutor want to charge you. Based on what you said, it would be unlikely you would be convicted, but if the police have a different story and the jury believe them, you would be convicted. This is why you DO NOT SAY ANYTHING TO THE POLICE! Do not even "give your side of it," which they would likely say is all they want you to do. Do not say anything without a lawyer.

NOW, GO TODAY and get tested. You may very well have been infected with something. Good Luck!

The comments listed here do not create an attorney-client relationship. The comments are for informational purposes only and are not to be considered legal advice. This attorney is only licensed in Michigan and does not give legal advice in any other state. All comments are to be considered conversational information and you should not rely on these comments as legal advice or in place of retaining an attorney of our own. The comments here are based solely on what you have provided and therefore are general in nature and with more specific facts or details a different answer or outcome could result. The legal system is not a perfect science and this attorney does not guarantee any outcome.

4. Can you be charged? Technically, yes. However, I can give you a thousand reasons why that's highly unlikely to happen unless you're on an episode of CSI: Las Vegas. You should be more concerned with possible diseases that you might've contracted. Go see a doctor.

5. I agree with the other attorneys, go to a doctor. Do not pick up discarded syringes in the future. As to getting charged, it is unlikely.

If you are seeking legal advice, you should contact an attorney. Neither use of the information on this page nor an email to this office establishes an attorney-client relationship. Such relationship can only be established by an express agreement.