Finger prints and DNA

Asked almost 2 years ago - Lansing, MI

If i was in a an area where i noticed a syringe on a bench and a device used for mixing the drugs. I pick up both items and while doing so i get stuck in the hand. I then throw the items away from me. Now understand i was never approached by any police at any time. I then later leave the scene. If in the future the police find thse items which i am ssuming they have not i dont know. Can i be charged for anything?

1. J. Matthew Catchick Jr.

Pro

2

Answered . First and foremost, get checked out by a doctor ASAP if you were stuck in the hand -- you may have contracted a disease and you should get checked out as soon as possible. Under the facts you have presented, I believe it is highly unlikely you will be charged with anything, but if you are contacted by the police or an investigative agency, retain a criminal defense attorney FIRST before you speak with anyone! In the future, if you find items that may be used for using drugs, avoid them at all costs. I wish you all the best of luck. Warmest regards, Matt Catchick.

2. Andrew Charles Lapres

2

Answered . Can you be charged? Technically, yes. However, I can give you a thousand reasons why that's highly unlikely to happen unless you're on an episode of CSI: Las Vegas. You should be more concerned with possible diseases that you might've contracted. Go see a doctor.

3. John William Toivonen

2

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys, go to a doctor. Do not pick up discarded syringes in the future. As to getting charged, it is unlikely.

4. Edward Jacob Sternisha

Pro

1

Answered . I agree that yes you can be charged if the police or prosecutor want to charge you. Based on what you said, it would be unlikely you would be convicted, but if the police have a different story and the jury believe them, you would be convicted. This is why you DO NOT SAY ANYTHING TO THE POLICE! Do not even "give your side of it," which they would likely say is all they want you to do. Do not say anything without a lawyer.

NOW, GO TODAY and get tested. You may very well have been infected with something. Good Luck!

5. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

2

Answered . I agree that you need to be checked by a doctor ASAP.

The answer to your question "can I be charged with anything?" is the same even if you had been in Italy talking to the new Pope instead of at that bench: You can be charged. You can be convicted if there is evidence against you, even if you had nothing to do with the crime.

Unless these are evidence in a homicide, they are not going to be checked for fingerprints or DNA. Police, and crime labs have lots of other things to do with their time.