Finding housing for a low income, disabled family member

Asked about 2 years ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have a family member who wants to go into assisted living. He is disabled, is 60 years old and gets Medicare. The problem I have found out is that Medicare doesn't pay for assisted living. Apparently it does help pay for nursing homes but he is defiant that he does not want to go into a nursing home.

We need to find him a place fast. He has a young son and I am really concerned about keeping from being homeless. No one in the family wants to take him in right now. Please, if you can help educate us about the options I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. David Alexander Browde


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . It's very difficult dealing with an adult family member who doesn't want the solution you're proposing. You should discuss your options with a local social worker or someone in your church... they may have something that acts like a nursing home but doesn't carry that label.

    Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,767 answers this week

3,620 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,767 answers this week

3,620 attorneys answering