Skip to main content

Finding and locating a trust account as the beneficiary

Denver, CO |

how do i find a trust fund when all i have is my name, that is on the account, as the beneficiary. i have my birthday and ssn etc. and the city/county in which the trust fund was remade etc. by colorado lawyers etc.
do i have to hire a lawyer and give him all information i can to find the trust fund? my court appointed lawyer at the time is mia and i cant find him. the appointed guardianship individual have declined to tell me who their lawyer in colorado is/was.
i have reason to believe, through admission, that the funds have been stolen out of my account.
i would like to locate the account, but i dont have any account numbers or names of lawyers. only my name, the beneficiary, and the names of the court appointed guardianships, who decline to talk to me or give me any information,

i have contacted the DA, he hasnt been much help and hasnt responded with any helpful information. i need to know what information I need to locate the account besides my name, birthday etc and names of the guardianships. i know the city and county it was set up.

Attorney Answers 3


I am sorry that you are still having no luck locating the trust account. Since no one is sharing information with you, you will need to retain an experienced attorney who can attempt to locate the data which you are seeking. Good luck to you.

This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor considered to be the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. I am licensed in Connecticut and New York and my answers are based upon the law in those jurisdictions. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if I were to review a client's file and have the opportunity to interview the client. Accordingly, I strongly urge you to retain an attorney in your jurisdiction with respect to any legal matter.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


The DA (a prosecutor handles CRIMINAL cases and would have NO information about this whatsoever), so I am not sure exactly why you would be contacting the DA. Trusts are meant to be secretive and are not normally filed or lodged with the Court. There is a form designating a living trust that can and should be filed with the clerk and recorder's office in the county. Check with the local clerk and recorder's office in the county in which it was created. I am not exactly sure why you can not find your prior attorney or why the guardian refuses to tell you who their attorney was. I definitely would sit down with an attorney with an paperwork that you do have to see if they can help you find the trust. If it was a guardianship that went through the court, you reference a court-appointed attorney, you should be able to find the file and the guardianship or trust documentation.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree




i was told to contact the DA since they deal with trust fund thefts, i assume because its a felony or something. it was a special needs trust. i have no forms or papers, as this was all done under duress and i did what was minimally possible to get a court appointed lawyer and have him tell me the details of what was going on, which was that it was still my money, and i just needed a signature to spend any of it. i do not have that lawyers name, it was a few years ago i saw him once or twice. the trust fund was robbed, the money was moved out of the account to somewhere else, possibly even to an out of county bank account. how i know this is that one of the appointed guardianships told me the other took the money out a while ago and then told me to fk myself and that they wouldnt help. all i have for information on the trust fund is the benfeficiaries name and the court appointed guardianships names and the city this happened in. are you for hire i can give you personal details in a consultation or something/



to clarify, i was abused, im being abused, the guardianship was my mother court ordering me mental incompetent to take my money.. shes not going to tell me anything helpful, and has declined to do so through my uncle.


You should probably hire an attorney who handles Trusts or Elder Law to help you locate the Trust. If you believe that it was prepared by your parents or other family members, do you know if they had a regular attorney with who they worked. If so, you might want to contact that person or entity to inquire whether they drafted a Trust for your benefit.

Responses to questions on AVVO does not create an attorney/client relationship. Colorado requires that the Client and Attorney enter into a written legal fee arrangement

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics