Finding a probono lawyer to protect my rights as an insured homeowner, against 2 attorneys and an insurance company. Bad faith

Anderson, CA |

A girl that was high on meth and drunk fell on my dog while trying to kiss it. My insurance company did almost zero investigation and settled the claim paying her $2500. The 1st attorney hired didn't do anything, I forced them to fire him. The second lied to us making us think we were going to trial and would win only to then call us and tell us a nuisance settlement had been done & was already final. I feel that as an insured homeowner, I had a right to have the claim investigated. I showed everything I have to another attorney. They informed me that none of what has been done here was legal and that I am in the right, have been financially damaged, but that I would have to pay for them to fight it. Nothing was done to protect my rights or do what was in my best in my best interest here

I guess what I am really looking for s a lawyer to take this on a contingency basis. I have spoken to several attorneys that have reviewed all facts in this case, They have clearly told me that what this insurance company and the 2 law firms they hared have done is violate the law and the contracts they had with me. The fact is that people keep saying an insurance company can settle any claim they choose. The law gives consumers the right to a defense and investigation from both the attorney and insurance company, it also entitles the consumer to have decisions be based upon what is in their best interest. This was not done, I asked my lawyer to stop the settlement offer and he refused.

Let's step back and focus on the most important issue that you have not mentioned. You keep saying you were damaged. How so and what did that cost you exactly? Without a viable basis for actual "damage" any case is worthless.

This answer is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice regarding your question and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Most homeowners insurance carriers will not even cover us due to a paid dog bite claim on my insurance record, We have already had to pay higher premiums due to this case and will have to pay considerably higher insurance premiums permanently due to this case that we were not legally liable for being settled, and the attorney they appointed us refuses to do what is in our best interest and stop the settlement. Also both attorneys violated their contracts with us by not acting in our best interest at all.

Robert John Murillo

Robert John Murillo

This does not sound like a case that any firm would take on contingency. You can keep calling around and asking, but I doubt it. You, of course, are free to sue them yourself if you want to. Good luck.

You posted this question yesterday and received numerous responses -- all of them concurring and explaining in detail that these facts do not add up to a sound bad faith claim. Now you want an attorney to take that same set of unsound legally insufficient facts and bring a case on your behalf for free.

It is a fact that sometimes askers here do not really want to know the law, nor do they want information about their rights under the law. What they want is for the law to provide a different result than it does in fact. Fair enough. We have all felt that way from time to time on specific matters.

But it is not feasible to expect a licensed professional to take up your cause and provide extensive, time-consuming, professional services as a gift, especially where the law does not support the claim and the attorney will have no basis for expecting eventual compensation. Especially where those services will cause unwarranted expenses for an opposing party. And especially where the rules applicable to ethical professional conduct and legal practice prohibit attorneys from binging a case where there is no basis in law or fact.

This is the real world of law practice.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Maybe that is because I mis-explained the facts. I do not even know this girl. I became aware of the facts she was on meth due to her own admissions to me that night after I awoke to my dog yelping in pain.The first law firm did absolute nothing with my case and got fired. The second misinformed us, misled us, and did not act in our best interest at all. As for an insurance company being able to settle any claim they choose, that would give a paying insurance company zero rights, and as a paying consumer, I have a right t an investigation and defense when I am not legally liable. The attorney refused to honor our request to have the settlement stopped, and told us we did not have the right to stop a settlement in court even though we were the ones being sued.

Pro bono is usually not for "money" cases. If the case appears to have some potential, you may be able to find an attorney to take your case on a contingent fee basis. Please consult with competent counsel if you require a more specific answer.

I have consulted competent counsel to know that what was done here not only violates contract law, but caused me significant monetary damage. You are right on the contingency basis, that is what I am seeking, I used the wrong terminology. I spoke to an attorney who has gone through all of the information I have She states that I am in the right with what I am doing, but that I would need to find a way to get my fight financed.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes