Financial Separation Without Divorce

Asked over 1 year ago - Indio, CA

Can I separate financially from my husband without a divorce in California ? I have been living separately for the past 2 yrs with my children who are totally supported by my income . Since our accounts are joint , I cannot withdraw any funds for important things like child's education . We had lived in US for 20 yrs . 8 yrs back we moved to India and we are still US citizens . We still have a house in CA , USA . I have interim custody of my children in India but currently have no child support since I did not opt for divorce . Nor can I withdraw funds from US banks , which also have my per - marriage personal income . Please advise on financial separation as I have immediate need for funds .

1. Michael Charles Doland

2

Answered . If you both live in India, you would not qualify to file in California until one of you has resided here for 6 months. Citizenship is not relevant to this. You may have rights under Indian law.

2. Martha Bronson

1

Answered . I agree with counsel about the fact that in general if you are a joint account holder you have the right to withdraw money. In your question, you imply you can withdraw money for some things but not other things like child's education. If your concern is needing to access money in joint accounts here in the US based upon information provided it certainly appears you do have the right to withdraw. If you have other information that might help us in guiding please feel free to post it in the comments section below. Good luck.

3. David Alexander Browde

Pro

1

Answered . It's not clear to me why you think you can't withdraw funds from joint accounts. You can.