Financial issues after divorce

Asked 7 months ago - Cleveland, OH

When we did divorce settlement, my ex-spouse only had $10000 in his bank. But after a few months later, I found out that he paid off his mortgage of $50000. If he said the money is from his parents to pay off his mortgage, that will not be considered his hidden money during our marriage, right? I will not be able to know where he get the money from after divorce if he didn't tell the true. If he receives money from his family, will that affect the child support he needs to pay?

1. Peter Stephen Kirner

2

1

Answered . No. If his parents gave him money, that would likely be considered a gift or a loan or an advancement on an inheritance. It is not "hidden". Also, as counsel indicated, this would not affect your child support. If you think that he hid money, you can certainly investigate. Contact your attorney to do so. Good luck.

2. Thomas Austin Thompson

Pro

1

1

Answered . A one-time gift of money will not impact his child support as it is not considered income for purposes of the CSEA computation. Regarding the issue of the source of the funds; if you have serious suspicions that the funds were concealed during your divorce you should speak with the attorney that represented you during the divorce. They would be in the best position to advise you on how to proceed to try to discover the true origins. Best wishes.