Skip to main content

Financial compensation for taking care of elderly parent in own home?

Austin, TX |

My father lives with me and has Alzheimer and COPD. Since I am a teacher, my brother (who is having health issues and cannot work a steady job) is planning to come stay with our father while I am working. Then he will go home when I get off work. Is there any financial compensation or support we can get since we plan to keep daddy at home?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    You may be able to qualify for Medicaid under a waiver program to help pay for home health care services. Additionally, if your father is a veteran, he might qualify for veterans aid and attendance if your brother were paid for his services as a caregiver. You should consult with a qualified elder law attorney in your area. There are things that you can do to qualify your father for benefits.

  2. You would need to check with social services in Austin as well as check into SSDI

    Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the asnwer was a good answer tab below. Thanks. Mr. Geffen is licensed to practice law throughout the state of Texas with an office in Dallas. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States and is licensed to practice in US Tax Court as well as The Court of Claims. This answer is provided as a public service and as a general response to a general question, it is not meant, and should not be relied upon as specific legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. You might also check into getting him a job at a "home health care" company. You can then arrange through their social worker for your dad to be his only client.

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics