Financial compensation for taking care of elderly parent in own home?

Asked over 2 years ago - Austin, TX

My father lives with me and has Alzheimer and COPD. Since I am a teacher, my brother (who is having health issues and cannot work a steady job) is planning to come stay with our father while I am working. Then he will go home when I get off work. Is there any financial compensation or support we can get since we plan to keep daddy at home?

1. Arthur Harold Geffen

Pro

1

Answered . You would need to check with social services in Austin as well as check into SSDI

2. Delona Lee Laxton

1

Answered . You might also check into getting him a job at a "home health care" company. You can then arrange through their social worker for your dad to be his only client.

3. Michael Henry Smith

Best Answer

Answered . You may be able to qualify for Medicaid under a waiver program to help pay for home health care services. Additionally, if your father is a veteran, he might qualify for veterans aid and attendance if your brother were paid for his services as a caregiver. You should consult with a qualified elder law attorney in your area. There are things that you can do to qualify your father for benefits.