Skip to main content

Final Rule to Support Family Unity During Waiver Process.... I would like to know how long does the person have to leave the USA

Stanton, CA |

I'm a US citizen and trying to get my wife her legal status. She is from Mexico. We have been married for 5 years and have one 4 yr old son and my wife currently is 10 weeks pregnant. Does my wife qualify for the extreme hardship waiver??? If so how long does she have to be out of the country??? We both have clean criminal records.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Additional specific details are needed to answer your question. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney.


These waivers are very difficult to get and almost always require the assistance of an immigration attorney. If your wife is approved for the new provisional waiver of unlawful presence, she will likely only need to be out of the country for days or weeks. - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.


She may be eligible for the provisional waiver, but a thorough review of her situation is required. Please consult with an immigration attorney who can conduct such a review.

(626) 771-1078 Los Angeles Attorney Theodore Huang, Esq. This is not legal advice. No attorney/client relationship is established. Attorney Huang is licensed in MD; practice limited to federal law.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer