Filling taxes with my ITIN. Can i get money back with a Valid Social Security number

San Diego, CA |
Filed under: Social security Tax law

ive been attending college for the past 4yrs and been filling taxes with my ITIN. i recently got my work permit and my social security number. when i file my taxes with year, can i claim money from the previous years since they were done with the ITIN and not a social?

You need to talk with your accountant or a local tax attorney.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

Tell your accountant to have IRS consolidate your previous taxes which you filed using a TIN, under your newly acquired SSN. Even if you do not get your prior refunds, which you should be able to get, you will get the benefit of your prior taxes when you retire.

Social security topics

Recommended articles about Social security