Filling taxes with my ITIN. Can i get money back with a Valid Social Security number

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

ive been attending college for the past 4yrs and been filling taxes with my ITIN. i recently got my work permit and my social security number. when i file my taxes with year, can i claim money from the previous years since they were done with the ITIN and not a social?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Armen Michael Tashjian


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Tell your accountant to have IRS consolidate your previous taxes which you filed using a TIN, under your newly acquired SSN. Even if you do not get your prior refunds, which you should be able to get, you will get the benefit of your prior taxes when you retire.

  2. David J. McCormick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You need to talk with your accountant or a local tax attorney.

    Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,119 answers this week

2,705 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,119 answers this week

2,705 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary