Filing uncontested divorce in New York City

Asked 3 months ago - Jamaica, NY

Hello, I've been married for 8 years, but separated from my wife for over 4 four years now. She just moved to North Carolina a month ago, and we decided to file for our divorce. We have one child together, age 6, we agreed on filing uncontested divorce,. She did wanna filed it in North Carolina but she was told that she have to be in that state for at least 6 months, so she told me to file it here in nyc where I reside. As I stated before that we agreed on everything about filing uncontested. I would like some advice on what documents to file. Thanks.

1. Gary Burton Port

4

1

Answered . You need to check out the Office of Court Administration's website which has the documents in Word and PDF. However, since there is a child involved you may want to consider using a lawyer because there are extra steps and requirements. First, you need not only to calculate the child support amounts, but must properly include the calculations in the papers. You also need to consider how visitation will work. Cross-state visitations are tricky and if you don't have a rock solid and legally binding agreement, you may never see your kid without going to court. Where will visitation occur, when will it occur, how will it occur? Who will pay the cost of travel? Have you consider the cost of child care? What about unreimbursed medical expenses? Who is covering the insurance? The list goes on.

2. David Alexander Browde

Pro

3

Answered . There is a lengthy list of documents that have to be signed, notarized and filed - it's on the NY Court system website. You can attempt to work through that list on your own or hire an attorney to do it for you. An uncontested divorce is usually not terribly expensive.

3. David Zaslavsky

3

Answered . You should really use an attorney when there is a divorce with children involved. The documents that need to be submitted are on the court's web site, however, they are voluminous and they require you to understand what you are doing.

4. Susan Pernick

2

Answered . My colleagues are correct. I want to emphasize the need for a lawyer because you have a child, and issues of custody, visitation and support must be dealt with in your separation agreement or stipulation of settlement. The more details that are spelled out today, the better, for it means less confusion later on.