Skip to main content

Filing Taxes

Sunnyvale, CA |

My parents are Permanent residents and have just migrated to united states, they both dont have any source of income and no unemployment benefits. Do they still file taxes?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. This a question for a tax attorney. If they had no income they are not required to file income taxes.
    Sent on the SprintĀ® Now Network from my BlackBerry

    Law Office of Luis A. Guerra (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.

  2. This is a tax question and should be posted in that forum. LPR need to file taxes if the law requires it

    if you like this answer, visit our website

    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

  3. If the entered the United States before December 31 of 2011 and had no income for that period of time they need not file this year. If they entered after January 1 of 2012 they would have to file next year.
    A caveat: it is really hard for the government to believe that anyone can live in the United States without any source of income. Therefore, for next year they should file taxes or CIS might consider some fraud or wrongdoing and withdraw the status granted.

  4. There may still be an advantage of filing taxes such as utalizing credits for the following year(s). If they are retireed from another country and become residents of the US they may still have to file and utalize what if any tax treaty exisiting with their homeland for tax relief.

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.

  5. If they do not have any income they may not need to file. You do not provide enough facts to make a determination. You should see a local tax professional to evaluate their specific situation.

    Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.