Skip to main content

Filing N-400

Smithtown, NY |

On the new bar-coded electronic form N-400, part 7 about your employment..., what if I am still employed how to fill out that box "Date to" should I leave it blank or have a future date? Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


After printing the form, hand write in "present" if it will not let you type it in before printing.


You should put today's date -- that is, the date you are filing the form. If you handwrite any answers, they will not be readable in the new 2D bar code at the bottom (which changes as you type things in) and the form will have to be manually processed, slowing down the process.


If possible, use the word "present". Otherwise, use today's date.

Please see

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer