Filing i-864 with no recent year Tax Return

Asked 9 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

My husband will complete the I-864 but he did file his 2013 Tax Return til now. Today is 28 Apr which is pass the deadline but we live overseas so he still have 2 months extension and would ask for more extension after that.

Q: Can we submit I-864 without 2013 tax return and just attach 2013 W-2 with explanation letter stating reason: "2013 return is not filed since 2012 will be revised as Married Filing Jointly" got married in Apr 2012, part reason for delay is i still need to get my ITIN or atleast wait for SSN if the GC is approved. Is this I-864 filing sufficient?

Additional information

*he did not file his 2013 tax return til now.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Yes you can do that. It is acceptable and proper. Include an extension letter as well.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  2. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can, but I can guarantee that within 3-4 weeks of the filing husband will get an RFE from CIS requesting the 2013 tax return, giving him up to 83 days during which to respond, but explaining that until such time as the copy of the 2013 tax return is received the entire case will be put on hold and "frozen".. Better file those taxes ASAP. This is a game no one can win with CIS.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that... more
  3. L. Vincent Ramunno Jr.


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Mr behar's advice is, as usual, superb

Related Topics

Sponsoring an immigrant

Petitioning for, or sponsoring, an immigrant allows you to help a relative immigrate to the United States, if certain conditions are met.

Marriage and prenups

Entering into a prenuptial agreement before marriage can protect certain assets in the event of a divorce, but such agreements must be carefully written.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,879 answers this week

3,468 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,879 answers this week

3,468 attorneys answering