Filing for citizenship & don't know how to answer "Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested?

Asked about 1 year ago - Rockville, MD

Confused on how to answer this question because I shoplifted at 17 & in order for my records to be sealed/expunged I had to do community service hours and jury duty. I did all that and got a letter saying everything has been sealed or expunged not sure which, BUT should I just answer NO to the question on the citizenship application or will they check my sealed juvenile records too. Also how do I check if my records were sealed or expunged. HELPP PLEASE!!!

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

12

Answered . You must be truthful and answer yes. This conviction is not a bar to naturalization. See below:

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

Answered . You need to talk to an immigration attorney in person, who should ask you relevant questions before advising on how to answer this very important question. Wrong answer to this question might be a deal breaker.

3. Christopher Daniel Leroi

5

Answered . You answer Yes.

4. Rachel S Ullman

Answered . My answer assumes that this is your only offense.

I understand that this is a confusing question. The basic idea with the naturalization process is that you have to tell the truth.

The answer to your question depends on whether you were arrested. If you were arrested for the shoplifting offense, then answer "no." If you were not arrested for the shoplifting offense, you answer "yes."