Filing for bankruptcy

Asked over 1 year ago - Newark, NJ

I have way to many debts plus no way to pay anything back. I lost my job last year and I'm a full time student. What chapter would I be able to apply. I don't have any real property except my cloths and a small TV, everything else isn't mine. Plus my kids mom wants to increase child support what can I do.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Ivan Raevski


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . based on what you are describing, you would be filing a chapter 7 bankruptcy. you should be aware that child support and student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy. If you child's mother files a motion to increase support, you should consult a family law attorney to deal with that issue.
    If you have any further questions about bankruptcy or child support, you can reach my office at 551-427-4428

    This answer should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship, and is for informational purposes... more
  2. Karina Pia Lucid Esq.

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You sound like you are currently judgment proof... When you become gainfully employed again, you may have cause for soncern about a lein, levy or wage granishment... and then perhaps it will be time to consider a bankruptcy filing. For now, based on the information you provided, I would recommend that you sit tight. If you want to discuss specifics please arrange for a free consultation with a local bankrutpcy professional.

    Good luck, good health and have a GREAT DAY!

    Karina lucid

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.... more
  3. Hermin A. Dowe

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It appears from what you say that you could file a chapter 7. This will illuminate all your debt except your student loan and child support. Consult an attorney for an evaluation.

    Remember that on this forum attorneys try to answer your questions with limited facts available to them. My... more
  4. David Lloyd Merrill


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . My colleagues give good advice. You will not be able to qualify for a Chapter 13, otherwise known as a Wage Earners Chapter, if you have no income. And in any event a consult with a lawyer will likely reveal that unless you earned over a certain amount of money, there simpy sn't a need for your to consider Chapter 13.

    Look into a Chapter 7 with a competent attorney, and discuss your support issues with a competent divorce lawyer.

    Good luck to you!

  5. Stuart M Nachbar


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . As a fellow NJ Bankruptcy Attorney, I would suggest to you that Ms. Lucid is correct.

    The previous information is solely for informational purposes only. If you have further questions, please contact... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,432 answers this week

2,960 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,432 answers this week

2,960 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary