Filing for bankruptcy

Asked almost 2 years ago - Newark, NJ

I have way to many debts plus no way to pay anything back. I lost my job last year and I'm a full time student. What chapter would I be able to apply. I don't have any real property except my cloths and a small TV, everything else isn't mine. Plus my kids mom wants to increase child support what can I do.

1. Ivan Raevski

Pro

7

Answered . based on what you are describing, you would be filing a chapter 7 bankruptcy. you should be aware that child support and student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy. If you child's mother files a motion to increase support, you should consult a family law attorney to deal with that issue.
    If you have any further questions about bankruptcy or child support, you can reach my office at 551-427-4428

2. Karina Pia Lucid Esq.

5

Answered . You sound like you are currently judgment proof... When you become gainfully employed again, you may have cause for soncern about a lein, levy or wage granishment... and then perhaps it will be time to consider a bankruptcy filing. For now, based on the information you provided, I would recommend that you sit tight. If you want to discuss specifics please arrange for a free consultation with a local bankrutpcy professional.

Good luck, good health and have a GREAT DAY!

Karina lucid

3. Hermin A. Dowe

5

Answered . It appears from what you say that you could file a chapter 7. This will illuminate all your debt except your student loan and child support. Consult an attorney for an evaluation.

4. David Lloyd Merrill

Pro

4

Answered . My colleagues give good advice. You will not be able to qualify for a Chapter 13, otherwise known as a Wage Earners Chapter, if you have no income. And in any event a consult with a lawyer will likely reveal that unless you earned over a certain amount of money, there simpy sn't a need for your to consider Chapter 13.

Look into a Chapter 7 with a competent attorney, and discuss your support issues with a competent divorce lawyer.

Good luck to you!

5. Stuart M Nachbar

Pro

1

Answered . As a fellow NJ Bankruptcy Attorney, I would suggest to you that Ms. Lucid is correct.