Filing chapter 7 while facing eviction in CA. Please explain the effect of filing on my landlord's right to kick me out. Delay?

I am confused by all of the rules. Whether I would have to pay rent to stay? whether I would be liable for rent due after the filing, etc. I plan to see a bankruptcy attorney but would like some insight first. I am about 1 month behind on my rent, lost my job and need to file chapter 7 for other legit reasons (credit cards I can't pay, etc.) but could definitely use some extra time in my home if possible. This whole situation stinks. Thanks for your insight.

1. Residential rent issues are tricky in bankruptcy, but you will be afforded at least some delay. Note that this is phirric in that you will have to pay all post filing rents as they come due. Also a landlord may file a motion for relief from the stay (they stay is what protects you) in order to get you out faster. Seeing the bankruptcy attorney you plan to see is highly adviseable as he can give you more information as it applies to bankruptcies filed in California.

2. You will have to keep paying rent to stay and the landlord can pursue an eviction action with the bankruptcy court's approval. You'll be given some time to catch up as a result of the bankruptcy stay. Work with your landlord or have your bankruptcy counsel do so to address things.

Evan A. Nielsen
    1255 W. Colton Ave., #506 | Redlands, CA 92374
    Main: 909.363.4658 | Fax: 480.304.3211
    Evan.Nielsen@NLGLaw.com
    www.NielsenLawGroup.net

Mention this Post for a free consultation.

Evan A. Nielsen is licensed to practice law in California. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.

3. I agree with each of my colleagues answers. I write to point out that having an unlawful detainer on your credit report, or other landlord report to which you future landlord may subscribe, will make it very difficult for you to find other acceptable rental housing.

The UD is shielded from reporting for only 60 days from filing. So, despite the looking glass view of living "rent free" for a month or two, it probably will cost you in the end.

One other point -- a BK filed after a judgment of possession will discharge the prior rental obligation but NOT delay a subsequent eviction of a residential unit.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

4. You would be able to delay your eviction. However, depending on your Landlords sophistication the delay would be only for a about ten days.

Yes, you would be liable for any rent past the filing date of your bankruptcy.

Jonathan Leventhal, esq.
    Leventhal Law Group, P.C.
    818-347-5800

NO EX-PARTE NOTICE VIA VOICE MAIL OR EMAIL: I do not accept e-mail notice for ex parte Applications via voicemail or by email. You must comply with California Law and give notice to a person in my office during regular business hours.

This email and any attachments thereto may contain private, confidential, and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any attachments thereto) by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any attachments thereto.

Leventhal Law Group, P.C. is a Debt Relief Agency under federal law.

Note: The Leventhal Law Group, P.C. does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and a representative of the Leventhal Law Group, P.C. and all fees listed in the agreement have been paid.

5. Timing in residential eviction cases is critical. If the landlord gets a judgment against you and then you file bankruptcy, the bankruptcy code permits the landlord to disregard the automatic stay and continue with the eviction process. Also, there are provisions under the bankruptcy code which permit the tenant to catch up on the rent and avoid eviction. Generally, in Los Angeles County Superior Court, if a tenant named in an unlawful detainer action files bankruptcy, the eviction is stayed (or halted) until the landlord obtains relief from the stay, which may take only a few days from the date of filing in some bankruptcy courts. Once the lender has obtained relief from stay, the unlawful case goes to trial and the landlord obtains a judgment for possession only, that is, no money damages (although, in theory, the lender could collect for post-petition holdover damages). If you manage to strike a deal with the landlord to seal the record, it will never appear in any eviction database.

6. The Chapter 7 bankruptcy must be filed before the creditor (in this case the landlord) obtains an unlawful detainer eviction judgment. As soon as you are served with the unlawful detainer complaint you have five days to answer it. You must file the bankruptcy before those five days are up or the landlord will be able to obtain a default judgment and can in essence ignore the bankprutcy and proceed to enforce the unlawful detainer judgment. While you are in bankruptcy you do have the right to reinstate the lease if you pay all of the back rent in a lump sum and continue paying the rent going forward, however the landlord does not have to let you do this and can proceed with the eviction. The landlord will have to do a motion for releif from stay, which takes at least a month. If the landlord acts as fast as possible you are looking at probably 3 months from the filing of the bankruptcy until the sheriff showes up at your door.