Filing chapter 7 pro se Schedule C what is 11 u.s.c. 522(b)2 mean, also I'm running into a problem with the mean testing

Detroit, MI |

I need to know what does "specify law providing each exemption" mean?

You need a lawyer or at the very least a lot of studying. The studying should be done at a local Trial Court Library and not on the internet.

Chapter 7 bankruptcy is a liquidation proceeding, this means that the case trustee will collect all your assets, sell them, and pay off your debts with the cash to the extent possible.
However, Congress does not want to leave you homeless and naked so they have carved out certain exemptions from liquidation. Schedule C list these exemption and you must tell the Court and the Trustee how your property is exempt from being liquidated. In correctly or not exempting property could literally mean losing a home, car, or other assets.

You should really consider hiring a lawyer, most offer a free consultation and payment plans. If you are really going to do it you self, please read a book on the topic first. Nolo offer several good publications as well as the National Consumer Law Center.

Robert Kovacs

Robert, I concur with your assessment that the questioner should consider hiring an attorney. Many, perhaps MOST people have considered so before doing this research. What I think is missing in this conversation is that for someone filing pro se it may, in fact, be that they are NOT in a financial position to hire an attorney. Consequently, these individuals really need some solid answers to help them do the best they can with their filing. What I mostly see here, and please don't take this as an indictment, is that most attorneys answering questions are doing so with a pat "you should get an attorney" answer. Good for the brotherhood, perhaps, but does not really help those who may be in need. And yes, these people could attempt to seek out pro bono representation (good luck with that), if they even knew there was the possibility. Just sayin', folks... Let's get some solid, in-depth answers if you are all truly intending to add value to the lives of millions of Americans that have been beat into the ground by all this. We will remember.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt