Skip to main content

Filing amended federal tax return

Albuquerque, NM |
Filed under: Business

i made a mistake on 2010 federal return which resulted in my receiving an inflated refund. i am filing 1040x with check for amount of my error. will this affect my 2011 return.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    If you pay the tax with your return, it should not affect your 2011 refune because you have no outstanding tax liablity. To be safe, take the 2011 tax return and the check personally to the local office and get a receipt for the payment.

    Phillip M. Smith Jr.
    Tax and Business Attorney
    Phone: 855 IRSTAXBIZ

    THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. The answer to question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. Mr. Smith is licensed to practice law throughout the state of California with offices in Los Angeles County. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States, and is also licensed to practice before the United States Tax Court. His phone number is 323-292-4116 or his email address is

  2. Not if you are sending a check for the remainder owed from 2010. You should receive your total 2011 refund.

    Christopher Larson
    Insight Law

  3. Probably not.

Business topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics