Filing a false police report in california

filing a false stolen vehicle report what can happen

California Penal Code 148.5, filing a false police report, is a misdemeanor that can result in a jail sentence.

I'm guessing this is a case where someone got into an accident, then tried to cover it up by falsely reporting the car was stolen. Depending on the circumstances, there could be other misdemeanors or felonies that might be charged, such as hit & run or insurance fraud.

You shouldn't post additional details on a public site like Avvo, where the police and prosecution can see them. Many criminal defense attorneys offer free, confidential consultations. You should consult with one who can give you specific advice on avoiding even more trouble.

You can be charged with a crime. Depending on the exact situation, you may even be charged with several crimes.

Filing a false police report in connnection with an accident can be a misdemeanor pursuant to Code Section 148.5. Depending on the cirsumstances there may also ne several other crimes that could be charged as misdemeanors and/or felonies such as leaving the scene, tampering with evidence, interfereing with a peace officer in the performance of their duties, etc.

I would not make any further public statements and get yourself a reputable criminal lawyer to represent you ASAP, if you cannot afford an attorney and you have been charged with a crime the court will provide a lawyer for you if you otherwise qualify. Good Luck to you.

This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.