Filing a Complaint against Public Defender

Asked almost 4 years ago - Concord, CA

Would like to file a Ethics Complaint against my Public Defender-Contra Costa County...went from my background not "warranting anymore jail time", after several blowouts with PD and two failed Marsden Motions...I am now headed to jail! My Public Defender did nothing to help me and basically worked against me...

1. Zachary Drew Wechsler

Pro

Answered . These are difficult cases. The facts do not prevent enough information to determine whether the PD was culpable althoughyour feelings are understandable. The Court of Appeal in your area offers well-trained pro-bono appellate attorneys who will examine the Marsden Motions and any claims of IEC. If you are factually innocent, you may prevail in a malpractice suit against the attorney. You may also complain to the State Bar as well as the PD's employer.

Often, less can be more. Communications problems with a PD does not necessarily mean the PD's decisions are not in a client's best interest. PD's do not get into their line of work to abuse their clients.

This information is not to be considered legal advice nor is it provided in an attempt to solicit a client.