Filing a Complaint against Public Defender

Asked almost 4 years ago - Concord, CA

Would like to file a Ethics Complaint against my Public Defender-Contra Costa County...went from my background not "warranting anymore jail time", after several blowouts with PD and two failed Marsden Motions...I am now headed to jail! My Public Defender did nothing to help me and basically worked against me...

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Zachary Drew Wechsler


    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . These are difficult cases. The facts do not prevent enough information to determine whether the PD was culpable althoughyour feelings are understandable. The Court of Appeal in your area offers well-trained pro-bono appellate attorneys who will examine the Marsden Motions and any claims of IEC. If you are factually innocent, you may prevail in a malpractice suit against the attorney. You may also complain to the State Bar as well as the PD's employer.

    Often, less can be more. Communications problems with a PD does not necessarily mean the PD's decisions are not in a client's best interest. PD's do not get into their line of work to abuse their clients.

    This information is not to be considered legal advice nor is it provided in an attempt to solicit a client.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,952 answers this week

2,768 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,952 answers this week

2,768 attorneys answering