FILEING CHAPTER 7 BANKRUPTCY AND NEED TO UNDERSTAND WHAT CONTINGENT, LIQUIDATED AND UNLIQIDATED ITEMS ARE.

Des Moines, IA |

I DON'T BELIEVE CREDIT CARDS OR STUDENT LOANS, ETC ARE CONSIDERED CONTINGENT, LIQUIDATED, OR UNLIQUIDATED SO IF THEY ARE WHAT ARE THEY CONSIDERED AS ON SCHEDULE F? WHAT ELSE GETS LISTED ON SCHEDULE F? MEDICAL BILLS?

Student loans are not priority debts, they are nondischargeable but not priority and are to be listed on Schedule F. Most garden variety consumer debt such as credit cards, medical bills, personal loans and the like should also be listed on Schedule F.

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended as a general discussion of legal issues and not as a statement of fact, legal advice or a legal opinion. No attorney-client relationship is created by this message. Do not act or rely upon law-related information in this communication without seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in the relevant area. I am a Federally Designated Debt Relief Agency under the United States Bankruptcy Code. I proudly help people in financial need file bankruptcy cases. IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (or in any attachment) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed in this communication (or in any attachment).

2. Your student loans go on Schedule E - priority debts. They are not discharged by the bankruptcy though. Both credit cards and medical bills go on Schedule F, as do personal loans, utilities, bounced checks, etc.

The information provided herein is general information only and not legal advice. The information provided herein does not create an attorney client relationship and is not a substitute for having a consultation with an attorney. It is important to have a consultation with an attorney as the information provided in this forum is limited and cannot possibly cover all potential issues in a given situation.

3. A contingent debt is one where your liability for the debt is undetermined. Such as a motor vehicle accident where it hasn't been determined who is at fault. A liquidated debt is a debt where the amount owed is a sum certain - eg, a known amount, and an unliquidated date is a debt where the amount owed is disputed. Hope this perspective helps!

4. I suspect from the question you are filing out your own bankruptcy petition, or having gotten documents from a petition firm, are filling them out without the help of a lawyer. Do not do this. Find a lawyer on AVVO in your area and come up with a fair fee. (Really, bankruptcy is not a do it yourself kind of thing there is a reason there are so many bankruptcy lawyers). That said, contingent debts are those you don't owe yet but may owe if x,y, or z happens, liquidated debts are those where you generally know how much the debt is, and unliquidated means you owe but are unsure how much.