Skip to main content

Filed writ of mandurus

Chicago, IL |

i Filed a law suit against federal court for not answering my husband after his immigration interview . In that process my lawyer said government is suppose to answer within 60 days about their decision for giving visa approval or denial to my husband. Now i just received a court date and they called me in court. I want to ask you what would the court do during the hearing

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


The 60 days is for the government to respond to your lawsuit, not to decide the petition. What will happen at the hearing depends on what type of hearing was scheduled. Your attorney should be able to explain what you should expect and what you need to do next. Good luck!

The information above is general in nature and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship between us. It is intended simply as background material, is current only as of its indicated date, and may not include important details and special rules that could be applicable to your case. You should consult an attorney directly before acting or refraining from action.


You should speak with your attorney about what will happen in court since you have already retained him to handle your case. It really depends on what the hearing is for. Since your attorney filed the lawsuit he would receive service of any filings by the government. The government could have filed their answer or a motion. The context of the hearing will depend on what has been filed and what issue the court is seeking to resolve at this juncture.

This answer should not prevent you from speaking to a lawyer and disclosing all facts about your case. Additionally, it should not prevent you from filing to see if you are eligible. Please seek an attorney for an initial consultation to review all the specific facts of your case.


You should speak with your attorney about this.

Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


You have a lawyer. Please ask all your questions of your lawyer.


Consult with your counsel of record as you retained that professional for exactly that purpose.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois 773-562-8602

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer