Filed I-102 and got a I-797 in the mail, can I use this receipt to file I-130 or should I wait?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hillside, NJ

I've been out of status for 13 years ( thanks to my mom) and I just got married to a us citizen.

1. J Charles Ferrari

4

Best Answer

Answered . The I-130 can be filed without the I-94. The I-485 cannot.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

2. Yolanda Navarrete

3

Answered . I don't understand how or why you filed those. It sounds like you may qualify to adjust status. Review your case with an immigration attorney.

3. Yolanda Navarrete

3

4. Eric M. Mark

Pro

3

Answered . You are very confused about the forms. IF you do this on your own there's a good chance you are going to make mistakes that result in long delays or denials. if you read the I-797 it tells you that it is just a receipt and means nothing. The I-102 also has nothing to do with the I-130, but just because you filed the I-102 doesn't mean you will get the document you are looking for, and if you file, you may regret it. Do yourself and your spouse a favor and consult with an immigration lawyer before you make a mistake you regret for a long long time.

5. F. J. Capriotti III

4

Answered . More information is needed.

Are you planning on filing the I-130 and I-485 as part of a one-step application package?

If so, you should have filed the I-102 as part of that kit.

None-the-less, it was a minor mistake on your part and, with the help of an attorney, you can still file everything ... with the receipt.

6. Alexander Joseph Segal

2

Answered . No to first quesiton, yes to the second.