Filed for custody of my daughter 8 months ago and have heard nothing from the judge, what steps should I take?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Lakeland, FL

Neither myself or my daughters mother have custody. She has been living with me for 17 months and her mother has dcf cases against her. At the hearing the judge said he would contact me with a final decision but never contacted me. I called the courthouse and the case is still active and I have not been able to get any further information regarding my case

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

2

9

Answered . I suggest you go to the court and ask to see your file. Review the documents to try to figure out what the status is. Is there a DCF social worker involved? Try contacting them as well to find out what is going on. Best of Luck to you.

2. Robert Edward Fenster

Answered . I agree with the above answer, but consider DCF to be your absolute last resort AFTER consulting with an attorney. DCF does good, but it can also wreak havoc in innocent parents' and children's lives. Take a look at the court file- call ahead to make sure it will be available- if what you seek is missing, speak to a local family law lawyer.