Filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in October 2012. Can I apply my 2012 tax return to 2013 estimated taxes due?

Asked about 2 years ago - Fort Wayne, IN

I anticipate a tax return of about $1,800. I would like to apply it to my 2013 estimated taxes. Trustee has asked for it to be turned into the trustee office during the meeting of creditors.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 7

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you properly exempted your tax refund you could do with it what you want. However, since the Trustee has asked for you to turn it over (at least that is what I assume you meant), I would guess that you have not properly exempted it. If you have an attorney, you should ask him if it is too late to amend your schedules and claim an exemption in your tax refund.

    DISCLAIMER: This message is intended as a general discussion of legal issues and not as a statement of fact, legal... more
  2. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The Trustee's "request" was a courtesy reminder. Most of your refund is an asset of the estate and immediately when you filed, you were ordered by the Bankruptcy Court to turn over a copy of your returns and any refunds. Failure to do so could result in revocation of your discharge.

    Best wishs for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can do that as long as you have properly exempted the return from liquidation in your bankruptcy schedules.

    The DiGiulio Law Firm, LLC. Phone: 888-540-4529 Website: Atlanta, Marietta, Lawrencevile,... more
  4. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The year is divided fractionally by month or day (it varies by district). The fraction from before you filed belongs to the estate, and the rest to you.

    You may be able to exempt part of the estate's share, depending upon state law.

Related Topics

Chapter 7 bankruptcy

Chapter 7 bankruptcy is a form of bankruptcy where your debts are canceled, but some of your assets are sold to pay off part of your debt.

Stephen M. Dunne

What is Chapter 7 Bankruptcy?

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy wipes out ("discharges") your debts. Chapter 7 is the bankruptcy provision most frequently used by individuals. It involves the complete liquidation of a debtor's... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,809 answers this week

3,856 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,809 answers this week

3,856 attorneys answering