Filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in October 2012. Can I apply my 2012 tax return to 2013 estimated taxes due?

Fort Wayne, IN |

I anticipate a tax return of about $1,800. I would like to apply it to my 2013 estimated taxes. Trustee has asked for it to be turned into the trustee office during the meeting of creditors.

The Trustee's "request" was a courtesy reminder. Most of your refund is an asset of the estate and immediately when you filed, you were ordered by the Bankruptcy Court to turn over a copy of your returns and any refunds. Failure to do so could result in revocation of your discharge.

Best wishs for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

If you properly exempted your tax refund you could do with it what you want. However, since the Trustee has asked for you to turn it over (at least that is what I assume you meant), I would guess that you have not properly exempted it. If you have an attorney, you should ask him if it is too late to amend your schedules and claim an exemption in your tax refund.

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended as a general discussion of legal issues and not as a statement of fact, legal advice or a legal opinion. No attorney-client relationship is created by this message. Do not act or rely upon law-related information in this communication without seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in the relevant area. I am a Federally Designated Debt Relief Agency under the United States Bankruptcy Code. I proudly help people in financial need file bankruptcy cases. IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (or in any attachment) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed in this communication (or in any attachment).

You can do that as long as you have properly exempted the return from liquidation in your bankruptcy schedules.

The DiGiulio Law Firm, LLC. Phone: 888-540-4529 Website: Atlanta, Marietta, Lawrencevile, Duluth, Alpharetta, Buckhead The above answer is for general information purposes and is offered as a service to the public. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, reviews or other communications, including the above post, should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation or relied upon as a substitute for engaging legal counsel, nor does it constitute advertising or a solicitation. Viewing the general information here, including your receipt or transmission of information hereof does not alone create or constitute an attorney-client relationship or ensure confidentiality. Please contact 770-309-9551 for additional questions or to schedule for your free phone consultation. If this question or answer pertains to bankruptcy, please be advised that we are a federal debt relief agency. One of our areas of practice is to help people file for bankruptcy relief and protection under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.

The year is divided fractionally by month or day (it varies by district). The fraction from before you filed belongs to the estate, and the rest to you.

You may be able to exempt part of the estate's share, depending upon state law.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt