Skip to main content

Filed for amicable uncontested divorce in GA, have to file for Final Hearing within 30 days but am moving to FL. What now?

Augusta, GA |

I'm moving to FL but the papers have just been filed with the court in GA. The address on the paperwork is my present address but I have to file for a Final Hearing within 30 days with the court and send a copy to my husband while already in FL. May I just send a change of address (contact and mailing info) to the court including Civil Action File # (court docket #) and the name of the judge? Do I send an address change to the Judge as well? Does this suffice to still notify the court/judge of address change? Does this delay/hinder/complicate the divorce? Is there a possibility to not have to travel to GA to get the divorce finalized or do I really have to be present in court myself? Husband signed a Acknowledgement of Service and Consent to Jurisdiction so he doesn't have to show up.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yes, once you move, put in a change of address. This will ensure you'll receive all court notices and orders. The change of address is filed with clerk of the court and a copy sent to your husband (his attorney if he has one).

The judge will decide if you need to appear in court for any hearings. Under the court rules you can request to appear by phone for pre-trial and post-trial proceedings. It is up to the judge to deny or grant the request.



Thank you so very much! As this divorce was filed with all the required forms necessary and filed properly per court requirement for an amicable divorce, I didn't want complications through moving. Your answer was more than helpful as I was not aware of the possibility of requesting to appear by phone. Once again, thank you very much for your assistance in this matter!


Divorces are rarely successfully done with forms. Had you used a lawyer, as you should have, a lawyer would have taken care of notices, and probably would be able to finalize the divorce without your appearance. There is still time to bring in counsel.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


If you are leaving the state and jurisdiction you better notify the court. Now else could they contact you? If I was you I would hire local counsel before I go to insure you do indeed get divorced. And yes the Petitioner must typically must return to court for the final court date.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.


Some courts allow you to do a divorce by verified petition and affidavit, meaning that you never have a hearing, but some courts require everyone who asks for a divorce to come for a final hearing. It is a good idea to figure out the procedure before you ever file the case.



Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have just recently learned of the possibility of a verified petition and affidavit. The papers filed are all in order and notarized as well as actually being exactly those that are required by the State of Georgia. As so far everything has been filed properly, I think that this will be a rather easy procedure.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer