Filed for amicable uncontested divorce in GA, have to file for Final Hearing within 30 days but am moving to FL. What now?

Asked over 1 year ago - Augusta, GA

I'm moving to FL but the papers have just been filed with the court in GA. The address on the paperwork is my present address but I have to file for a Final Hearing within 30 days with the court and send a copy to my husband while already in FL. May I just send a change of address (contact and mailing info) to the court including Civil Action File # (court docket #) and the name of the judge? Do I send an address change to the Judge as well? Does this suffice to still notify the court/judge of address change? Does this delay/hinder/complicate the divorce? Is there a possibility to not have to travel to GA to get the divorce finalized or do I really have to be present in court myself? Husband signed a Acknowledgement of Service and Consent to Jurisdiction so he doesn't have to show up.

1. Paula Jeanette Mcgill

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . Yes, once you move, put in a change of address. This will ensure you'll receive all court notices and orders. The change of address is filed with clerk of the court and a copy sent to your husband (his attorney if he has one).

The judge will decide if you need to appear in court for any hearings. Under the court rules you can request to appear by phone for pre-trial and post-trial proceedings. It is up to the judge to deny or grant the request.

2. Adrian Kaspar Pritchett

4

1

Answered . Some courts allow you to do a divorce by verified petition and affidavit, meaning that you never have a hearing, but some courts require everyone who asks for a divorce to come for a final hearing. It is a good idea to figure out the procedure before you ever file the case.

3. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

4

Answered . Divorces are rarely successfully done with forms. Had you used a lawyer, as you should have, a lawyer would have taken care of notices, and probably would be able to finalize the divorce without your appearance. There is still time to bring in counsel.

4. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

2

Answered . If you are leaving the state and jurisdiction you better notify the court. Now else could they contact you? If I was you I would hire local counsel before I go to insure you do indeed get divorced. And yes the Petitioner must typically must return to court for the final court date.