Filed Bankruptcy in 2010. Rec'd 2 1099-A's in 2012. IRS liability is 70,000 Is there a program to reduce debt disabled person.

Las Vegas, NV |

I am a disabled veteran. We filed for BK and home was foreclosed in 2010. We rec'd 2 - 1099a's in 2012.
Is there a program that will reduce the amount owed to I.R.S. Also can a 1099-A be converted to a 1099-C

1. If the 1099's relate to the cancellation of debt and the debt was discharged in your bankruptcy it is not taxable income under Section 108 of the Internal Revenue Code. If the 1099's are for other income or miscellaneous income, then it is included in taxable income. You may be eligible to submit an offer in compromise or be put on currently non-collectable status if you owe tax. If the 1099's are in error you can ask the issuing party to correct them.

H. Daniel Lively, Esq., LL.M., CPA Certified Tax Specialist, CA Board of Legal Specialization dlively@livelylawgroup.com www.USTaxRescue.com 714-708-2593 Mr. Lively is a Certified Tax Specialist by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. He can be reached at 714-708-2593 or USTaxRescue.com.Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.

2. This is a tax question, not a legal question.

Debt discharged in bankruptcy is not taxable, although the lender may be obligated to file the 1099. Also, if you were "insolvent" by IRS standards (owing more than your total assets), you likely qualify for relief; there is a specific form for this.

3. You have received plenty of advice from the other attorneys, but it does not look like you were provided a link to the Offer in Compromise program. I do not know if it will work for you to reduce your tax debt, but it is worth checking out -- http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Offer-in-Compromise-1

This answer or response should not be considered legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you have further questions, I would be glad to discuss your situation further. I can be reached at US - (801) 746-6300, or online at -- http://www.lewishansen.com/attorneys/robinson.html

4. You'd want to seek a CPA that can file the return and include a Form 982. This is an information form that tells the IRS this is non-taxable income. Really common these days! Good luck.