Filed a child support modification after 16 years, can I request a paternity test now or is it too late?

Pompano Beach, FL |

I have been on child support for 16 years, 2 kids. One graduated last year from high school and recently filed for a modification to remove that child and lower the support. Is it too late to request a paternity test for both kids? If it comes back that the 19 year old is not mine can I file something to apply the support paid for that child to the other?

No.

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

Not a chance that support will get recovered or credited if you find out now after all these years you are not the father.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

My first question is why did you wait so long if you had doubts? And I'm curious why the support wasn't automatically modified after the first child graduated high school. Wasn't that I'm your agreement? How are you paying your child support? Through income deduction? Central depository? Directly to ex? Younger want to comsult with attorney.

You can reach the Law Office of Richard S. Chizever, P.A. at (305) 974-1580 or RChiz@ChizeverLaw.com. Richard S. Chizever, Esq. is a family law attorney licensed in the state of Florida. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Richard S. Chizever or the Law Office of Richard S. Chizever, P.A. and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

I guess the best answer is that I was stupid and did not want to hurt the kids. I pay the support on the FL Revenue website. I'm not sure why the support was not modify once my daughter graduated. My wife told me to look into it and when I went to the Child support office they told me that I have to file forms to have her removed. Today I was told that I need to server my ex with the modification but she refuses to give me her address. The court also said she does not have to give me her address but yet I have to serve. I'm so sick of the run-around with these people.

Richard Scott Chizever

Richard Scott Chizever

If she is evading service there are ways to deal with that. If you are looking to hire an attorney, why don't you call me and we can discuss.

Child custody topics