File I-601 or not?

Asked about 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

My US citizen Son and I are about to file both the I-485 & I-130 forms together. I am have now overstayed the allotted 6 month period allowed for Canadians. I have been advised to file the I-601 along with the rest of the forms. Others tell me not to.. I'm confused! If overstay is forgiven for immediate relatives (or is it?), then why would I need to file that form?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

15

2

Answered . Unless you left the US after accumulating the unlawful presence, you do not need a waiver.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. J Charles Ferrari

1

Best Answer

Answered . An I-601 does not cure an overstay. Whether it is required for some other basis of inadmissibility cannot be determined from your posting. A person who is an "immediate relative" for immigration purposes does not have an overstay issue.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

3. Carl Michael Balediata

1

1

Answered . You are not required to file the I-601 form unless you committed misrepresentation or if you departed the US after being present for 6 months or more. If you entered the US legally as a Canadian on your passport and have remained in the US beyond the time allotted to you when you entered and have not departed the US, you do not need to file the I-601 form. Now if you misrepresented to the CBP officers when you came to the US that you were only coming to visit when you really intended to come to be immigrated by your US citizen son, then the I-601 form would be needed. In my opinion that is your bigger problem. You also need to prove what date you entered the US and prove you have been here since that time. I would strongly advise you meet with an attorney to discuss your case further before file anything.

Good Luck

4. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Answered . It is time for you to meet with an attorney for a private consultation.

NOTE: If you are low income go here: www.justice.gov/eoir/probono/states.htm or http://www.immigrationlawhelp.org/