Fighting an expulsion from school

Tomahawk, WI |
Filed under: Education law

In 2010 my daughter was suspended pending an expulsion hearing. What had happened is we allowed the school to administer her medication (Concerta). The nurse was not properly watching her when she took these meds so my daughter was pocketing her pills instead. In school one of her pills fell out and another student saw this and gave it it to the teacher. It was later determined that she had pocketed a total of six of her pills and this is what lead to the suspension/ expulsion.
We have learned in the last two years, that no Medication Administration Consent Form was filled out by us and/ or the doctor, no letter was sent to inform us of the expulsion and my child is being penalized 100% for these actions which is not fair. I don't know what to do advice would be helpful.

1. Hire a local attorney who practices education and school discipline law. You need to consult with someone familiar with your state's administrative procedures. Given the timeline alleged, some forms of relief may be time bared. However, a local practitioner will be able to give more specific advice.

This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be protected by attorney-client privilege or work product doctorine. However, the mere receipt of this answer, alone, is not sufficient to create an attorney-client relationship. If the reader of this is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this answerer is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this answer. Should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at TBKotler@sbcglobal.net or 330-777-0065 Thank you and please indicate if you found this answer and / or the link(s) helpful.

Education law topics