Fiance had a small amount Khat (an east african plant) by Customs in USA and withdrew his entry. Will he be allowed back to USA?

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

My fiance and baby's father was found with 130 grams of Khat which was planted in his suitcase. Law enforcement convinced him to say it was his and withdraw his application to enter USA. He was on B1 Visa, which was cancelled. It was not his, we do not know where it came from. We need support in how to get past this. All family is in the USA and we were planning on marrying. How do we ever get a visa again? Is "release to return" the same as deportation? What are the rules? What do we do? How do we ever visit the states?

1. F. J. Capriotti III

4

1

Answered . First of all, 130 grams is not a small amount ... it is over 4 ounces!

It is a controlled substance in the US and he can be denied future entry to the US for drug trafficking.

He needs a lawyer to review his CBP file with him/you.

2. Irene Vaisman

Pro

2

1

Answered . I would have to agree with my colleague. retain an attorney to request and review the records and subsequently decide on next steps.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  3. Fadi N. Minawi

1

1

Answered . This may cause your fiance issues. I agree with my colleagues, contact an attorney and decide next actions from there.

4. Charles M. Goldsmith

1

Answered . Unfortunately his actual "innocence" will be difficult to prove as he probably signed a statement acknowleding his guilt. Our immigration law treats drug related crimes very seriously so it will be very difficult for him to obtain a visa in the future. If you decide to hire an immigration attorney, make sure they have extensive experience handling waivers.