Felony withhold of adjudication...

West Palm Beach, FL |

I was sentenced in 2010 on multiple felony theft and fraud charges. I had to serve no jail time, but received 5 years of probation (early termination after 3 years) and a withhold of adjudication on all my felony charges. Am I a convicted felon? I never registered as one. Also, should I be concerned about my charges showing up on a background check for an apartment complex? I an a key holder at my job with keys to the store, the safe, etc and evidently came up clean enough to pass my corporate check.....? Any guidance and clarification is appreciated. Thanks - Katie

You are NOT a convicted felon. In fact you may be eligible to have your record sealed.

If you received a withhold and successfully completed probation then you are not a convicted felon. A background check would likely reveal this. You should contact an attorney concerning sealing and expunging your record. This will help you immensely in future background checks.

If you were not adjudicated by the judge then you are not a convicted felon. Your charges and arrest record may still show up in a background check even if the charges were withheld. The charges will still appear in the background check until you are able to have your record sealed. Once your probation is terminated I recommend that you have your record sealed. As you record stands a landlord may see it on a background check. You can contat a loca attorney to determine if you are elligable to seal your record.

If adjudication was withheld, you are not a convicted felon.

The good news is that, by definition, the fact that the trial court judge withheld adjucation in your case means that you are absolutely not a convicted felon (unless you have somehow previously been convicted of another unrelated charge at a different time, which would have prohibited adjudication in the case to which you have made reference an impossibility).

The bad news is that in all likelihood, even the most basic background check will reveal the existence of this previous contact with law enforcement and all which followed. At your earliest possible opportunity you should contact an attorney who can meet with you, verify certain details concerning this matter, discuss your future plans with you, and, if appropriate, initiate the process of sealing your record.

We are pleased to offer a free thirty (30) minute initial telephone consultation, or, if possible, will attempt to schedule a free thirty (30) minute initial office consultation. Neither this offer of a free initial consultation, nor the mere fact that the initial consultation may have ultimately been conducted, whether telephonically or at our office location, should be construed; assumed; interpreted; or understood by any individual who was granted a free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort whatsoever was tendered, to have formed or created an attorney-client relationship, or to have created any obligations owed by the attorney or attorney's firm to any individual who was given a free initial consultation, by the mere undertaking of the free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort was tendered to attorney or attorney's firm. The formation of an attorney-client relationship occurs through the process of negotiation between the prospective parties, the individual seeking legal representation, and the attorney, acting individually, or as an agent of a firm (the capacity in which the attorney is acting shall be disclosed to prospective client, if negotiations for legal representation in exchange for good and valuable consideration are undertaken by the prospective client and the attorney. If agreement is reached by and between the parties for legal representation after the mutually satisfactory negotiation of the agreement for legal representation, and all of its individual terms; the scope of representation to be provided by the attorney to the prospective client has been delineated to the mutual satisfaction of the parties; the manner of payment of good and valuable consideration by the prospective client to the attorney has been determined; and it has been conceded by the parties that all of those factors upon which agreement had been reached by the parties and which were recited herein, had been agreed upon by the parties only after careful consideration and sufficient review of the document styled Agreement for Legal Representation, and after it has likewise been conceded by the parties that each respectively had been presented with the opportunity to have the document reviewed independently by each respective party's personal attorney, or any other attorney of his or her chooosing. If the Agreement for Legal Representation contains terms regarding contingency fee agreement or agreements for payment to the attorney for all or a portion of his or her services and legal representation on behalf of the Client, Client concedes that he or she has been presented with an additional document entitled "Statement of Client's Rights", which is a document created by the Florida Bar and approved for use in matters in which payment in full or part, is tendered by contingency fee agreement. Please note that any commentary or response offered through this site is based on the limited set of facts and background data supplied by the individual framing the question and would in all likelihood require more investigation before a complete response could properly be framed to thoroughly answer the question posed. No attorney-client relationship is, or should be presumed to be, formed through the comments or responses provided to the individual posing the question, as a courtesy, here, through this forum, nor should any other duties or obligations be construed; assumed; or otherwise be inferred to exist and/or owed to the individual who posed the question by the attorney who provided the best guidance possible to said individual under the circumstances presented as they were, including the unreasonable assumption that a full and thorough legal analysis of an individual's situation could be formulated simply based on the minute portion of the entirety of the facts and circumstances surrounding any legal matter, which could in no manner possibly be presented here in such a form which would allow for a thorough analysis, evaluation, or legal opinion to be formed by the Attorney.