Skip to main content

Felony theft 1 conviction is it deportable????

Hillsboro, OR |

A friend who has permanent residence (green card) in the USA since 2002 took a plea bargain to plead to felony theft 1 (not aggravated theft in Oregon where this occured). Can he be deported? his green card expires in 2015
can he travel out of the country now?
He got no jail time only 18months probation and Restitution of $2500. And probation is terminated whenever he pays it off he paid it off in 2 months so no probation. Oregon allows him to file a motion to reduce the charge to a misdeamenor.. they actual value of the theft was $750.00
Can he be barred from naturalization?
Record can be expunged in 3yrs.
please advise.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Generally speaking, the answer to this question will depend upon when the criminal act occured and when the conviction occured. In most cases, theft is a crime of moral turpitude. A lawful permanent resident convicted of a crime of moral turpitude within 5 years of becoming a resident may be deportable, but the law is currently in a state of flux on this issue. Your friend should consult with an immigration attorney to determine how his conviction effects his ability to stay in the United States and his ability to naturalize.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics