Skip to main content

Felony 3 charges on your record how does it affect employment? How hard is it to get a decent job? Theft by deception

Pittsburgh, PA |

Theft by deception F3 charges, also two misdemeanors with theft by deception and one false impression Current sentence is 6 months served with 8 years probation and 2 probation violations

Attorney Answers 3


Question answered by Lawyer Michael Kotik of

I think it depends on a lot of things, like (a) type of job your getting; (b) personality and qualifications of the applicant; and (c) person hiring.

I have seen people with some serious records get employed all over the place. It really depends on the person. Don't let this one thing in your life define you. Work hard apply everywhere and be honest about what happened.

Good luck!

Answers are not of fact, but rather the opinion of the attorney answering the questions asked. At no time does this answer create an attorney-client relationship. To the extent that these answers may become available to the general public there is no confidentiality as it pertains to this answer or question. The law changes frequently, and the material on this website is for general information purposes only and neither constitutes nor is intended to be legal advice. Prior to acting based upon this general information you SHOULD seek legal counsel regarding your specific legal matter. The outcome of every case is dependent on the specific facts and legal circumstances of each individual case. This website is not an offer to represent you, which can only be made after a consultation with one of the attorneys from Kotik, P.C. The Lawyer answering this question does not intend to practice in any other jurisdictions where it is not licensed. Attorney is Licensed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The firm does not seek to represent anyone viewing this website in other jurisdictions, and the website may not comply with the laws and ethical rules of states other than Pennsylvania and New Jersey. If you have any questions please contact my office at 215-564-1010. Law Office of Michael Kotik, P.C., | | 1500 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Suite 220. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19102

Mark as helpful


Life will be harder than it would have been without the conviction. There are some jobs where you cannot be hired with a felony conviction. Others see a conviction involving dishonesty and don't want to trust you. I just talked with a man with a 10-year old conviction for car theft when he was 18. It is making it very difficult for him.

I also know others with felony convictions who are getting along fine. It all depends on the work you want and your personality. The more time that passes, the better it will get.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin

--- Facebook Page of Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Criminal Defense Attorney

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police

--- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs) Madison, Wisconsin Criminal Defense Lawyer's take on them.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police:

Mark as helpful


It is unique to the situation. You may wish to find ways to mitigate that-show the employer you have turned your life around. Example: speak to at risk youth. Volunteer. Etc. You can then tell your potential employer "I committed those offenses in another life, but I have since spoken to at risk youths and volunteered at a soup kitchen." This could help the situation.

Mark as helpful

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics