FEES FOR SETTLING A SMALL ESTATE

Asked over 3 years ago - Canonsburg, PA

PER STEVE FROMM ANSWER..SHOULD I ASK MY LAWYER FOR AN ENGAGEMENT LETTER STATING THE TERMS OF AGREEMENT AT THIS TIME AS I AM NOT SETTLING THE ESTATE NOW, BUT IN SOME FUTURE DATE......

1. Steven J. Fromm

Answered . I agree with the prior attorney since the facts, assets, family considerations or problems may be quite different than are currently.

First, the life insurance, pension and 401(k) will go to the named beneficiary. The will can not overrule these designations. So whoever is named the beneficiary of the life insurance gets that outside of what the will says. Same for the pension and 401(k). This also applies to joint property, so if they held money or the house or other assets, then the joint tenant gets those assets. The will only speaks to assets in mom's name alone. As for your options to find out the truth, the only way would be to try to find whether she ever saw an attorney. If you can check her belongings or her check register you may find additional information. However, the will cannot change the passage of title on the items discussed above. Get with an estates lawyer in your area to discuss all of the factual details and your options in a face to face meeting.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is uuthorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States.His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is ;
    Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
    By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
    Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.
    sjfpc@comcast.net ,
    website is www.sjfpc.com.
    blog is <http://frommtaxes.wordpress.com/

2. George D. Greenberg Esq.

Answered . Since work flow, the costs of doing business and laws and costs vary from time to time, it would not be a fair request to an attorney. It is not something that I would agree to with a client. I would tell the client, when you are ready to settle the estate, then you can retain me at that time and we will enter into an engagement agrement at that time and we will then conduct business at that time.