Fees for legal guardianship of mentally disabled adult daughter in Louisiana

Asked over 2 years ago - Carencro, LA

We're retired parents of a mentally disabled daughter and would like to know how to obtain legal guardianship in Louisiana without high costs. We were legal guardians in Washington state, but understand that would not work here. We have very limited income and need help.

1. Diane Beth Weinberg

Pro

Answered . While I am not a Louisiana attorney, I suspect that you need to go to court to domesticate the Washington guardianship. Just as you had to file reports to the Washington State court, you will now have to report to the Louisiana court. I do not know how much it costs, but you may be able to file a poverty petition or receive assistance from your local legal aide organization.

Good luck!