Fees for legal guardianship of mentally disabled adult daughter in Louisiana

Carencro, LA |

We're retired parents of a mentally disabled daughter and would like to know how to obtain legal guardianship in Louisiana without high costs. We were legal guardians in Washington state, but understand that would not work here. We have very limited income and need help.

While I am not a Louisiana attorney, I suspect that you need to go to court to domesticate the Washington guardianship. Just as you had to file reports to the Washington State court, you will now have to report to the Louisiana court. I do not know how much it costs, but you may be able to file a poverty petition or receive assistance from your local legal aide organization.

Good luck!

Unless you came into my office, signed a contract and wrote me a check, I am not your attorney, and you are not my client. This is not intended as legal advice and should only be used for informational purposes only. You should never believe any information that you receive on the internet, especially information that is probably being provided in the late evening hours when I should be sleeping.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates