Fee waiver for joint petition Clark County Las Vegas, NV

Asked over 3 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

I would like to know what are the rules/income limits to have the court filing fees waived.
Or where to find this info
The case to be filed is a joint petition for divorce, no children.
Thank you in advance.
Best regards

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Marshal Shawn Willick

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Clark County is the Eight Judicial District of Nevada. THe locl rules are called the "EDCRs." EDCR Rule 8.13(b), re: Payment of filing fees, says
    (b) Eligible persons may seek a waiver of Court fees and costs, as provided in NRS 12.015.

    The NRS are state statutes. 12.015 says:
    NRS 12.015 Actions involving indigent persons.
    1. Any person who desires to prosecute or defend a civil action may:
    (a) File an affidavit with the court setting forth with particularity facts concerning the person’s income, property and other resources which establish that the person is unable to prosecute or defend the action because the person is unable to pay the costs of so doing; or
    (b) Submit a statement or otherwise indicate to the court that the person is a client of a program for legal aid.
    2. If the court is satisfied that a person who files an affidavit pursuant to subsection 1 is unable to pay the costs of prosecuting or defending the action or if the court finds that a person is a client of a program for legal aid, the court shall order:
    (a) The clerk of the court:
    (1) To allow the person to commence or defend the action without costs; and
    (2) To file or issue any necessary writ, process, pleading or paper without charge.
    (b) The sheriff or other appropriate public officer within this State to make personal service of any necessary writ, process, pleading or paper without charge.
    [etc.] See http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-012.html#NRS....

    If you really cannot afford counsel, the local Pro Bono provider is the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, which can be called at 702-386-1070 (or see their information on the web at http://www.lacsn.org/option,com_jcalpro/Itemid,...). Those that take pro bono cases take them after they have been screened, and assigned, by Legal Aid. The Reduced Fee Panel sponsored by the State Bar can be reached at 702-382-2200. Additionally, there are free consultations offered on Thursdays at the self-help center; volunteer attorneys provide 15-minute consultations, for free, on family law questions. For those that wish to attempt self-representation, forms are available at the Clark County self-help center website, at http://www.clarkcountycourts.us/shc/Supporting%....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,477 answers this week

2,832 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,477 answers this week

2,832 attorneys answering