Skip to main content

Federal taxes without proof of income

Seattle, WA |

I have a client that made a minimal amount during the year but has no poof of income. He did not file an extension and he wants to file his taxes for 2007 but I can't find anything regarding what he should supply. Do I just file this without proof or is there anywhere the IRS gives advice on this? Thank you!

Attorney Answers 1


I'm not at all sure the premise for your question. I am also not clear if you are discussing an individual, corporation, or other entity. But, if you are wondering if you have to provide documents with a tax return, then the answer is generally "no." Forms W-2 are the only documents sometimes required to be filed with an income tax return for a U.S. individual.

A tax return is not about proving income, but reporting it. The Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, requires taxpayers to report all income from whatever source derived, unless specifically excluded. From that, taxpayers may take deductions, credits and other adjustments, as allowed under the Code.

The Internal Revenue Code is, essentially, an honor system. But, of course, there are audits. So, your client should strictly adhere to the Code in reporting income.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics