Federal Lawsuit/Interrogatories/HIPA/Psychiatrist and Psychologist

Asked 5 months ago - Boston, MA

I have a Federal Lawsuit involving reasonable accommodations related to my mental health disorders

The interrogatories by the defendant asked me questions like "state whether you have ever consulted a psychiatrist, psychologist"

or asked "describe in detail the reasons you have consulted a psychiatrist, details of any hospitalizations and names of medicine taken" the exhibits in the complaint from my doctors say what my mental disorders are

..how should i exactly answer these questions?..................should i answer the question some like this "privileged information under Hipa"

1. Michael A. Satterwhite

3

Answered . You filed the lawsuit. You will have to prove certain claims. If you put something like that, the other party could file a motion to compel or even a motion for summary judgment if you refuse to prove an element of your allegations. It is a strategic question. Read each work carefully and do not give more than what they are asking for.

2. Estela Matta

Pro

2

Answered . When you put your mental health at issue in a lawsuit, you forfeit privilege to the extent that the opposing party has the right to defend against the suit and you must provide honest answers and information. You can't have it both ways---raise an issue then refuse to discuss it.
    You can assert a privilege, but then you must add "the above notwithstanding" and provide an answer to the question.

I strongly recommend you retain counsel.

3. Leizer Z Goldsmith

Pro

3

Answered . Hopefully you have counsel to help with this and the many other complexities of such a suit. If not, find a lawyer now.

This is not formal legal advice.
  4. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

3

Answered . It is actually HIPAA and you absolutely need to find an attorney to represent you on such a complicate case

5. Michael J. Szklasz

Pro

1

Answered . The Defendant has the right to defend against the lawsuit. Therefore, unless completely irrelevent, they can discover all information about your claim through discovery including through the use of interrogatories. You must remember that you answer these under the pains and penalty of perjury so be honest. If you have a valid objection, state so and then the Defendant will have to move the court to compel your answer. Do you have an attorney? If so, consult with him/her about the discovery.

6. Dennis M. Abrams

Pro

2

Answered . You will have to answer relevant questions because you filed a lawsuit making your health (mentally and physically) at issue. You cannot claim the information is privileged. But, if you do not have a lawyer, you will have trouble telling what questions are ok and what questions are not ok. Federal court if very challenging. You ought to get a lawyer who has experience there.