Federal and state law enforcement, homeland security and customs authorities have shut down an elaborate auto-export scam.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA |

Under U.S. Customs laws and regulations, the export of new motor vehicles is prohibited. Is exporting new car illegal?

1. Many more facts would be needed to give you good analysis. Normally the answer is yes, it can be prohibited regarding "grey market" goods and other reasons. Be very, very careful. I was approached on a similar proposal about exporting cars to Yemen from a proposed client. My bank told me if I ever deposited a check from, or got a wire transfer from Yemen they would close every account I have an no bank in the US would ever open a bank account for me again. Even (or perhaps especially) attorneys continue to learn every day.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

2. Attorney Doland is an expert in international legal issues, and you'd be wise to consult with him about any proposed business involving exported goods. .

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

Business topics