Federal (white collar) criminal case/trial.

Wondering if in a federal case when a defendant decides to go to trial is the jury pool based on members of the general public? Also does the jury pool ever come from members of the grand jury? (is this even allowed).

Also how many jurors do there need to be in order for a federal trial to take place? Does the defense team and/or the prosecuting team pick the jury?

1. The jury panel is selected from the general population. No one from the grand jury would be eligible to sit on the jury since they have prior intimate knowledge of the evidence in the case.

A federal jury is made up of 12 jurors and up to 6 alternate jurors. Both the prosecutor and the defense attorney are entitled to exercise peremptory strikes to whittle the panel down to the appropriate number of jurors and alternates.

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

2. The jury pool in the Central District of California is based from the general population from the following counties: Riverside, San Bernardino, Orange, Los Angeles, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Ventura. Grand Jury members are typically exempt. 12 jurors for a criminal matter. Many federal judges prefer to do the voir dire, but the final decision is made by the attorneys from both sides.

www.YourCriminalDefenseLawyer.com
    for Fairness / for Your Freedom because sometimes good people get into bad situations
    (800) 409-7010

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

3. Making progress on the term paper about jury trials, one Avvo Q and A at a time.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

4. Don't get mad at me but. If you are asking these questions on AVVO, there is a breakdown in the relationship with your (or your friend/loved one's) attorney. That concerns me. The answers above are 100% right but my goodness, if you (or someone you know) is going to trial, the communication has to be better than this. What's going on?

Federal crime topics