Federal (Plea Agreement/Supervised Release)

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I am curious about the following: When negotiating a plea agreement with the ausa I have usually seen after reading many plea agreements that the topic of supervised release is very vague and not talked about in an elaborate form in the plea agreement. Can you with counsel's help ask of the ausa to elaborate the conditions (special conditions for the defendant on supervised release)? This way the defendant has an actual idea of what to expect as their supervised release conditions.

The reason being is because this is a very important yet highly overlooked portion of the process.

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

1

1

Answered . Yes you can with counsel's help ask to elaborate the conditions in writing.

2. Melissa I. Smejkal

1

Answered . Just ask your lawyer.

3. Haytham Faraj

Pro

1

Answered . The conditions are vague because they are often driven by the offense. If you're into kiddie porn you would have to stay away from computers. If you commit Medicare fraud you would have to refrain from working in clinics.

This is not legal advice. This is merely a recommendation on how to get what you need from the Court.
  4. John Paul Thygerson

Pro

2

Answered . "after reading many plea agreements..." Are you an attorney or a defendant?

5. Mary Catherine Bonner

1

Answered . i agree with the others. your supervision would be offense driven. generally the supervision is quite strict at the beginning and as you earn trust it may change somewhat.

the bottom line is that if your are on supervised release, you are on the street. isn't that your goal even if the conditions are tight.

you cannot commit new crimes; travel freely without permission; use drugs; get arrested (even if the charge results in a not guilty. just what you would think, but, all in all, better than incarceration.

yours is a strange question in many ways: you never mention the offense; you have read many plea agreements;, why and how? you call them "ausa" which leads one to believe that you are not naive in the ways of federal court. it also makes it sound as if the explanation given to you would help you decide whether to be released or continue incarceration?