Father has 2 kids with mom#1, and 1 kid with mom#2. How do you calculate child support in IL?

Asked about 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

My boyfriend pays more to mom#2 than he does to mom#1. He has a court order for mom#1, but not #2. From what I understand from the guidelines, it appears he should use 32% of his net income to calculate what he owes for each child. Since they are not all from the same mom, he thinks he owes 28% to mom#1, and an additional 20% to mom#2. This doesn't make sense to me. The 3rd child gets more support than each of the first 2. Can you clarify? Thank you.

1. Judy A. Goldstein

1

Answered . Your boyfriend is correct, although his calculations may be wrong. There is not enough information to know. if there are no orders for support, this should be taken care of immediately, especially if one or both mothers are on public aid.

2. Wes Cowell

1

Answered . BF is right, you are wrong.

For every $100 he earns (net income) family 1 get $28..00 and family 2 gets $14.40. That leaves BF with only $57.60 out of every $100.

If you have a kid with this guy, and then you break up, you'll get only 20% of the leftovers. That works out to only $11.52 out of every $100. AND . . . there are laws about how muchmoney can be taken from a guy's paycheck -- even for child support -- and this amount would push the total garnishments up over the top -- so you'd receive even less than the $11.52.

Got that? You'll get less than half of what family 1 gets, and significantly less than family 2, and not enough to adequately rear a child.

If your hopes for this relationship include having kids, you might want to take a hard look at the finances, or consider looking for a new BF.